Health Alerts: Xylitol

by Deity on December 12, 2006

Pet Poison: Xylitol
www.janethull.com (Reprinted with permision)

Xylitol is a sweetener used in a wide range of sugar-free products such as sugar-free gum and candy, power drinks, and diabetic products. Although xylitol is consumed by humans, it is not safe for pets, and according to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, xylitol has poisoned several hundred dogs.

Signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs include weakness, loss of consciousness, and seizures. Immediately after ingestion, a dog’s blood sugar drops and the liver stops functioning. Usually, signs of poisoning occur within 30 minutes after ingestion, but some dogs do not develop symptoms for several hours.
If you think your pet has eaten a product with xylitol, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

For more facts, check the section on Poisons on www.PetHealth101.com.
http://drpollen.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_drpollen_archive.html

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: